The time had come for me to try my hand at making some donuts. This was an emotional journey as I have a profound love for the treat but was nervous to make them for myself as I was sure to disappoint and therefore be destined to always rely on others to provide vegan donuts.
Well, I made some. And they were amazing if I do say so myself.
I would like you all to have the same opportunity to try making some easy baked chocolate donuts that can be made gluten-free and sugar-free. The whole process took about a grand total of about 45 minutes start to finish. I will add that the glaze is optional but totally worth it.
*This recipe is nut free and vegan as it is but can be easily altered to accommodate other allergies or preferences.
Vegan Chocolate Donuts
Makes 5 Donuts
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup organic raw cacao powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 chia eggs (or 2 egg alternatives like flax eggs)
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup organic pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 dairy-free chocolate chips melted
- optional toppings (nuts,coconut flakes, sprinkles, etc)
- Preheat oven to 350 deg
- Mix all dry ingredients in medium-size bowl (Tip: I put all these through a sifter to eliminate clumps. Makes for a smoother batter!)
- Fold in wet ingredients and stir to create batter. (Should not be runny or too thick. Ideally should look like thick cake batter. See photo below)
- Grease donut pan with coconut oil
- Scoop batter into pan and place in oven
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges of the donuts pull away slightly from the pan.
- Cool completely before glazing.
- Eat them so quickly that you forget to share, and now you have to make another batch.
I hope you try this recipe and let me know what you think! I am looking for the best recipe so if you have adjustments or suggestions, let me know!
One thought on “Vegan Chocolate Donut Recipe”
These look delicious! I’ll have to try your recipe out – thanks for sharing. I recently posted a gluten free donut recipe on my blog as well 🙂